Widespread Museum

Ronciglione
October 27, 2011

Montecavallo

Corso Umberto 1 is a quaint street of Ronciglione, which was built by Duke Ottavio Farnese in 1580 to fill up the moat. At first it was called Borgo Ottavio in his honor, then Montecavallo, today it is known as Corso Umberto 1.

This beautiful uphill street can be admired from the Della Nave Square. Going up this street the Church S. Maria degli Angeli, called del Collegio is located on the left. It was built in 1802 and belonged to the Doctrinal Fathers and was headquarters of the rhetoric and humanistic school; today it houses the Middle School and Scientific Lyceum.

On the right is the SS Annunziata (S. Costanzo) Church or oratory which was built in 1618.

Continuing uphill you can see villa Vespignani on the left, which was later named Venci and is now called Sacconi Palmieri.

Near by is one of the most ancient houses on Corso Umberto: Palazzo Cianciani, built in 1585 by the noble Cianciani family.
The palazzaccio closes the Corso Umberto scenario. It was built after the First World War on the ruins of palazzo Mariani, which dominated the entire town and was closed on of the accesses to the Farnesian settlement. It was burned down by the French in 1799, and was destroyed by the bombings in the Second World War.

 

Today the Historical Horse Races and the Carneval Float Procession still take place in Corso Umberto.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

no images were found