July 5, 2013

Town Hall Fountain

fontana_comune_1

 

The Fountain was in the wall opposite the Farnese Palace (seat of the Canepina Town Hall). Water ran in an open air aqueduct dug into the stone. In 1559 by order of the Farnese family the fountain was moved and enlarged with two basins on its sides. Then, by order of earl Zegli Pazzaglia in 1800, the two basins were moved to another fountain placed at the entrance of the village; it was also prohibited to water animals in it. On the wall, above the fountain, are the coat of arms of the Farnese (the lily) and of the Duchy of Castro.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

In 1559 the Farnese family accommodation

 

small

 

 
Fontana Piazza del Comune