July 5, 2013

Monastery of the barefoot Carmelite

S_Michele_CarmelitaniThe Carmelite friars, particularly friar Angelo Menicucci from Canepina prior of the monastery in 1500, played a leading role in the building of the complex. The Carmelite ruled it until 1870, when it passed to the Italian State, as a property of the Town Council of Canepina.

The cloister of the ancient monastery is very simple: the porch is on both sides, held up by thin stone columns. At present we can see some frescos recently restored. A wing of the monastery used to host the nuns of the “Preziosissimo Sangue”, while the other, properly restored is now the seat of the Museum of Popular Traditions.

 

 

 

 

 

 

small

 

 

 

 
Convento Frati Carmelitani